Introducing: El Moises, Artist of the Week February 14-21

Posted on | 2/17/11 | No Comments


I met Moises in late 2010 at a barbecue for artists given at the home of Scott Garcia and I was super excited by his stimulating, textural and graphic style. This interview was given on February 13, 2011 and you will find even more awesome pictures after the break.

First off, lets get an idea for who you are and where you are coming from:
Who are you?  My name is Moisés. I also go by El Moisés, a name that everyone had problems pronouncing throughout my life. To simplify, people would call me Moses. I hated that. So I force people to see my name on my work by only Moisés.

Do you consider yourself an artist? Why or why not? I am an artist. I have known I was an artist since I was around 6 years old. My kindergarten teacher showed me a few books about other artists that had the same drive as I do. I didn’t know what an artist was until she explained, “These are artists just like you Moisés”. I then realized in these books the artists had lifetime commitments to what they did and I fell in love with the idea of doing this forever.

How did you know you wanted to be an artist? Did you grow up creating or was it something you found as an adult? Was your family supportive?
As far as family support, my parents did not really know that I was going to be a full-time artist. They probably just thought I was a kid scribbling with crayons. My father tried pushing me in other directions so I could have a successful career. My mother thought what I was doing was cool. I have always known that I had to follow my instinct of making art.

Now I'd like to learn more about your art.
What mediums do you create in? I work in a lot of mediums: wood, paper maché, a lot of recycle/reuse art but my strong is acrylics on anything. I have worked with oils, but oils do not work with my technique. 

Is there a particular genre or style that you create in? Why do you create in that genre/style? What’s the history behind it and your own history with it?
My work is more contemporary due to the fact that I am still using friends, family, and culture as a reflection through art. Art imitates life. Growing up Mexican-American and with some Native American in my family has really brought forth what I am and what I do.
 

How much time do you spend creating art? Do you study other people’s style and art history to learn? Or are you one of those that prefer not “contaminate” their vision? Do you incorporate other skills (beading for example) into your main type of art? Do you think “stealing” other artists style, imagery, colors or ideas to incorporate into your art is a good or bad thing? Why or why not?
I stole from every master artist as a child. I would trace coloring books and copy adds from flyers and newspapers. I believe this has developed who I am today simply learning from the best. I later developed my own style some how, some way. I spend a lot of private time still learning. I use colors that are bright from a more folk art perspective. I incorporate a contemporary perspective on a traditional idea. Sometimes my work will have kooky ideas with serious work. My work is very narrative. All of it tells a story.

Moises You have a particularly unique style that I love. Where did you come up with this pop-y, bright, textural look? How did it develop? Your art has a bit of “street art” vibe and I’ve noticed you also paint motorcycles. Is that where you got your start as a painter? (doing graffiti or car painting)
Yes, definitely. My father always worked on cars from body work to paint. My father had a few lowriders, so you can see where the street vibe came from. My technique came from years of drawing and painting. It just happened one day when I wasn’t looking for it. As far as the bright colors I just love bright colors, no explanation. My work has been accepted by a diverse public from street motorcycles to CD covers and so on. This is something that I have been blessed with and give thanks to God everyday.
 

Many of the people who read my blog are interested in becoming artist, so I would like to ask you a few questions about your life style.
Do you make a living from your art or do you earn expenses from a job? What is it? Give me a ballpark estimate of your yearly income from art alone, please.
Put it this way, I have been making a living off of my artwork since I was 12 years old. I used to hustle drawings for $1. At times, I would make $200 a week. My dad used to think I was selling drugs. I started selling paintings as a teenager in the thousand-dollar range. I do not really keep track of money in a way an accountant would. Yes, I am a full-time artist and make a living from my art.

How are you able to make a living (if you do) from art? How is your art marketed and sold? Do you do it yourself? Have an art manager to take care of it or leave it all to a gallery? Why?
I have been marketing my own work forever. I have organized exhibits as a young man. I watched how the pros did it and I found some things I did not like. I would select the strategies I used and created my own innovative ways. I found that doing things my way was the best. Being greedy or stepping on people was not one of them. I believe in educating the public on my art pieces. It has always been a blessing to sell my work. Currently I am professionally represented by Kenneth Lingad, 1680PR. This gentleman has been a true friend and brother. We work on the same concept of creativity.
 

Are you able to take care of your family on your art income (if pertinent)? If not, why not, if so, what does your family think of your career? Does being an artist ever cause friction in your relationships? Do you work from a home studio or have a separate one? If you have a home studio, do distractions ever become an issue? How do you deal with them?
Yes, this is what I do full-time. I have no other job. As a matter of fact I have the best job, being a father! I am always comfortable knowing that my children are safe and well fed. No one else can do that but mom and dad. My art does not get in the way of my relationship. As a matter of fact, my wife is the one that told me to quit my career and paint full-time….talk about being supportive. Art actually helps our family relationship. My kids make art with dad. My wife also helps me with earrings or priming “prep work”. I think if we didn’t have art in the house, that could affect a whole relationship.
 
I work from home. I do have a studio but find myself working close to my family in the dining room. I like to make sure my kids are cool.


Now I'd like to ask you about your beliefs in terms of the role art plays in society:Did you go to art school (university)? Why or why not? What do you think about the state of art education in schools (K-12)? What is the importance of an education in the arts? How do you feel it might help society?
No art school. I am a self-taught artist. I did not go to art school because I was too busy painting. And yes, art education is extremely important. I wish my children would receive more of it in school! Art is very therapeutic for the young and old. Art has always made an impact on society through advertising, self-expression, and even political movements. You just can’t get away from art.

What is the role/function of the artist in society? Is art meaningful or simply decorative? SHOULD it be meaningful or simply decorative?
Art is very meaningful to who ever appreciates it. As far as decorative, it could be depending on what is being decorated, a bridge or a wall behind your couch. Decorating is completely up to the buyer or collector. I enjoy creating and decorating our home with art.

Should art be a commodity/investment? What do you think of the current state of the art world (few artists selling for millions while other cant sell, “spam art” or hyper commercial art, “art speak”, folk/primitive artists vs “real” artists, etc)
You just answered your own question. Art is a diverse market and it could have a high price tag money wise or a high price tag emotionally and/or historically. As far as selling art, I do not keep up with what is selling and what is not. I am amazed when I do hear or read about a piece selling for millions at an auction. I am very happy to hear that kind of news because it lets me know that there are people out there that are very crazy about art. There is nothing wrong with that.
 



Moises, where can I buy your art? Got a website?My art can be purchased directly from me. My website is www.artedemoises.com . I am also on Facebook. All of these links can be found on my website which I recently refreshed.



Comments